Fifty Years Ago Today

President John F. Kennedy believed in Peace and felt we could end war. Our problems, he believed were created by us and therefore could be solved by us. I still agree. This is hard for Americans my age to talk about. I believe we never stopped wondering what if… What if he had lived? We will never know. But that magic bullet changed America in such a way that we can but wonder what would America be today. A gentler, strong, country with much less racism and more belief in peace. JFK said in a speech that the world’s problems were man made and therefore could be rectified by man. Kennedy also believed in helping your country. Which in my mind means helping each other. Caring about others. ” Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country.”

Lincoln

At the time of the assassination of President Lincoln at the Ford Theater in Washington. I oft wonder what would have happened if he had lived and could have steered the country through  Reconstruction after the Civil War. I believe it would have changed many things. He would have stopped the Klu Klux Klan and the new free men and women would have been educated. The south would have not been punished in the way that happened. Is this relevant? Yes, it is.

image582994(1)

Greeting the people

Greeting the people

image5169942(1)

secret service agent tries to cover the president's body

The secret service agent tries to cover the president’s body

Johnson taking oath of office on Air Force One

Johnson taking oath of office on Air Force One

image5169949

Lee Harvey Oswald killed by Jack Ruby

Lee Harvey Oswald killed by Jack Ruby

people coming to see Kennedy lying in State

people coming to see Kennedy lying in State

Jackie and Carolyn kneeling at the coffin

Jackie and Carolyn kneeling at the coffin

Jackie at funeral

Jackie at funeral

Jackie with Carolyn and John Jr.

Jackie with Carolyn and John Jr.

Jon Jon saluting his father as the coffin passes. One of the most famous picture in America

Jon Jon salutes his father as the coffin passes. One of the most famous picture in Ameria

In Dallas, Jackie wore a pink Chanel suit. Many tried to get her to change clothes on Air Force One and after landing in Washington. She replied, that she was not going to change because
she wanted them to see what they had done.” The suit is preserved in the National Archives.
May there be another Kennedy to rise up and take over where JFK was stopped.

9 thoughts on “Fifty Years Ago Today

Never forget!! Reblog!!

A sad time in American history!!

3. Matthew says:

Reblogged this on Carolina Mountain Blue and commented:
    There are certain events that are forever etched into the American fabric: Pearl Harbor, 9/11, Lincoln’s Assassination…and the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Let us never forget what happened that dark day and let us always remember JFK for who he was and for what might have been…

4. eurobrat says:

What a terrible thing that was…let’s hope it doesn’t happen again. So far, we seem to have been spared.

5. Gator Woman says:

We watched JFK last night. It was nearly unbearable for those of us who will never forget the man or the day.

6. Linne says:

I will always remember that day. Also the days when Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King were assassinated. So many good people killed to stop them even trying to change the world. Gandhi, too (but I don’t recall that day). None of them were perfect, but they inspired me and made me want to be a better person and to change my part of the world a little for the better.

I saw a special last night about a new album called “The Kennedy Suite”, music and songs by many different artists. There is information online if you Google “The Kennedy Suite” AND “music”. My Google is acting up just now and closed itself or I’d give you the links. Anyway, it’s by a Canadian and makes me proud.

I was in Washington, DC in 1997 and visited Arlington and the Ford Theatre to pay my respects. Also a few other places, like the Vietnam Memorial.

I remember JFK every year and think of him often. A good post, Barbara. Thanks.

• The best of us is often feared by the darkness which is in some other people. They fear progress and forward movement. But their greatest fear is of those with pure hearts and noble spirits. They would take lives rather than face who they really are. Many blessings to you my friend, Barbara