Years ago, I received a wonderful book For This One Hour, from my father. It’s a first edition, published in 1969, and has separate sections for being Grateful, Cheerful, Optimistic, Unselfish, Forgiving, and Generous; for spending Time in Prayer, looking for the Best in Others, helping to Make Someone Happy, and living in the Present.
It’s a wonderful source of inspiration to me, and has been for many years.
Today, with so much negativity in the world, I thought I would share one of my favorite passages, the Creed for Optimists: 10 simple things we can all strive to do for ourselves and our world to make both better.
The Creed for Optimists
- Promise yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind
- Promise yourself to talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.
- Promise yourself to make all your friends feel that there is something in them.
- Promise yourself to look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
- Promise yourself to think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.
- Promise yourself to be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
- Promise yourself to forget the mistakes of the past and to press on to the greater achievements of the future.
- Promise yourself to wear a friendly countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
- Promise yourself to spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.
- Promise yourself to be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble
–Christian D. Larsen, from For This One Hour, compiled by William Arthur Ward, copyright 1969, Droke House publishers
Great! Number 10 gives me some trouble.
Reblogged this on Sunshinebright and commented:
Excellent advice and inspiration for living.
Thank you so much for your kind comment. I really appreciate the reblog. Hugs, Barbara
You are awesome! Thank you for sharing this! May I re-blog it? Hugs and love, Belinda
You are so sweet and yes feel free to reblog. I would love it if you reblogged me. Hugs, Barbara
I am humbled and honored to do so. Huge hugs and much love!
Yes, feel free to reblog. Hugs, Barbara
Thank you for sharing, Barbara. Some of those are pretty big promises. Yet with practice, comes perfection. (smile) Love, Amy ❤
Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. Hugs. Barbara
Goals to work towards. It is a better frame of mind than pessimism. Hugs, Barbara
Reblogged this on Busy Mind Thinking and commented:
Now this is inspiration! I love Barbara. Have you met her? Scoot over and say hi!
I love you too. I will do that sweet friend. Hugs, Barbara
OH wow this is wonderful Barbara! I got to the first one and thought of wow…I let something eat at me for over a week! So silly of me! Why? thank you for this! This is so wonderful! I’m letting it go and releasing all of that! Beautiful post Barbara! ❤
Michelle, good for you. You are a joyful person. We will talk after the move. Hugs, Barbara
Reblogged this on Tell Me About It! and commented:
What a wonderful post from Barbara! I only made it to #1 when I realized I allowed something to steal my peace and I released it immediately after reading this! I love Barbara’s posts! B shared it first!
What a wonderful gift from your father!
He was a good man. Thanks. Hugs, Barbara
Thank you Barbara for these wonderful words!
Thank you for reading them and commenting. Hugs, Barbara
I would however like to add that promising oneself to remain aware and do each of those 10 things suggested by Christian D. Larsen, can often translate into an intention which does not fructify. What could be the foundational elements we need to anchor ourselves in life which would allow us to exercise the creed a s a natural self expression?
Great list, I was nodding away happily and then bang, number ten pulls it all together!!! Thanks for the reminder xxxx
Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. Hugs, Barbara
Reblogged this on georgeforfun.
Thanks for reblog! I appreciate it. Hugs, Barbara
My pleasure indeed ));<)))))
We all need more of this! Thanks for adding to the positive energy!
What a wonderful gift to have!