The Face of Domestic Violence in Ohio

The Wisdom of John Lennon

The Wisdom of John Lennon

One in every four women will experience Domestic Violence in her lifetime. 84% of victims of abuse per year are female. Children who witness domestic violence are twice as likely to abuse their own partners and children when they are adults.

Over 10,000 domestic violence victims receive shelter in Ohio annually.  According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV), money is the biggest issue for each domestic violence member programs. One large area where money is sorely lacking is for children recovering from domestic violence.

The violence by intimate partners is physical, mental and emotional.

The violence by intimate partners is physical, mental and emotional.

34,027 arrests were made under Ohio’s domestic violence statue in 2006, and 4485 domestic violence arrests were made under other sections of the penal code.

What do we want? We want the violence to stop

What do we want? We want the violence to stop

Funding is a large challenge faced by Ohio domestic violence service providers. Part of each domestic violence programs funding comes from a percentage of marriage license fees and are controlled by the counties. This is the formula followed in many states. Rural programs have no real financial programs for the support of local shelters.

The Ohio Domestic Violence Network (ODVN) is a statewide coalition of DV programs. You can contact them at http://www.odvn.org.
Services provided include technical assistance, resources, information and training to those who are affected by DV. The mission is to educate people and make them aware the danger of abuse.

No matter where you live don't be silent about battering.

No matter where you live don’t be silent about battering.

12 thoughts on “The Face of Domestic Violence in Ohio

Reblogged this on The ObamaCrat.Com™ and commented:
    I admire your tenacity and drive to never stop telling the world about abuse, domestic violence and oppression & injustice. Thank you Ms. Barbara.

• Thanks for reblog and info. Will check into this in a few days

• Jueseppi B. says:

If you need help just let me know.

• Thank you for being such a good friend. You are a special human being. My family told to me by my grandfather is that I am in addition to English and Croatian, I am a little gypsy. My kids are deeply offended by it. He talked to me constantly about hitler and that we must never forget or it will happen again. When I was9he gave me a book of black and white photos of the camps. My adopted family is Jewish and I am an activist. Grandpa also helped start unions in ny. Pa, Ohio. People need to get over themselves.

• Jueseppi B. says:

Yes. People indeed do need to get over themselves. It seems to me humans spend way too much time thinking they are better than someone else.

• Jueseppi B. says:

Always my pleasure Ms. Barbara.

2. godtisx says:

Barbara,

I too am very moved by your dedication to survivors. Keep speaking and educating. It is so important, there are just so many people experiencing this. I have a friend right now, I am helping to navigate a familial situation which is shocking beyond belief and the mother continues to stay with the father. But I’ve had a few partners who were from homes where this was common and I have to keep saying this is closer to all of us than most think. Keep up the great work!

• It is a scary thing for victims. When I was working in domestic violence, we formed a grassroots alliance to help women. I was still working as a psyche nurse. Catholic, Jewish and protectant women all work together. We had no funding but buried a penny in the front of the house and the sisters om mercy prayed. Though I no longer live there, they remain with over a million dollar annual budget and the ability to provide many more services for.victims and children. We started in the70’s. my mother abused me as a child so it has always been my deepest cause though not the only one.

• godtisx says:

I’m so sorry that happened to you. My heart breaks for children who end up in the hands of an incapable unwell parent (my young friend right now). I can’t tell you how deeply this bothers me. I’m really glad you have this as a cause, and yes, I’ve gathered you have other causes you work for. All ears there also.

Honestly I am glad the alliance is there for women…but it’s also bittersweet? Like, what is wrong with our world that we keep creating these monsters that abuse children and women. And then, the WOMEN who do this? How…Barbara do you think we can contribute to prevention?

• I think we teach our girls to be strong and let boys charm us. We must allow children to be who they want to be. Gender bias must stop. Part of the problem is that children live what they see. Babies aren’t born denigrating women or not liking other cultures, religions, or people of different colors. So no matter what we say, we are teaching all of this hatred.

• godtisx says:

I agree. I think we are. Today I was thinking about this. There are so many unwell, hateful, adults practicing toxic and harmful behaviors. Yet, everyone is focused on the ‘children.’ But there is someone raising and teaching those children in all types of situations and if they’re not well. Unfortunately I’ve met men and women of so many ethnic groups and ages who simply haven’t done the work on themselves to curb or even catch really scary behaviors. Then soon they are an uncle or aunt, or parents, teachers, or some kind of service worker. And you’re right, children DO live what they see, so when we find those toxified adults, that stuff comes from somewhere. When I was younger I hung around with deeply dangerous peers and I can tell you, that some of the stuff people might gasp at, came right from values in the home. Or values in the home allowed it to live. :-/ I really think programs that work with adults who have issues particularly when they have children is so important. And education, but media is so profit focused these days, the innovators who care fewer and fewer.